I’m not sure if this is finished or not. I’ll explain that in a minute. It is a muslin. A trial garment. I’ve been fussing for several weeks over the sheer knits I purchased on-line that were described as “semi-opaque sweater knits”. I’ve discovered that semi-opaque means the same as ‘burn out’ which means there are sheer portions which should you choose to sew with this fabric, will mostly likely fall on the worst possible places. I fuss because ‘sweater knit’ , for me, invokes a cushy knit fabric that will keep you warm. As a matter of fact will make you sweat because it is so heat retaining. In my mind a ‘sweater knit’ may have a small gauge that drapes close to the body (think 50’s sweater girls and twin sets) but is not transparent. Anywhere. E-v-e-r. So I groused about these. Made excuses for not immediately returning. Until it hit me that my whining was rather embarrassing. I’d just declared myself a Sheers Expert. Not more than 2 months ago, even as I’m complaining about my sweater knits, I had insisted that I was the master of sheer fabrics because I had made and followed through on my goal to find techniques that control sheer fabrics.
So I’m not complaining anymore. This shouldn’t be hard. The easiest thing to do with sheers to is to make 3rd layers. Except, I really wanted pull over sweaters to wear in the house or outside under 3rd layers. I selected my first fabric, a teal knit with alternating opaque and sheer strips. The easy solution, to turn this into a pull over that can be worn alone, is lining. I didn’t want to use a polyester or other woven lining fabric. I don’t want to lose the stretch of the fabric only the transparency. I have Knit Tricot but in white. I didn’t really want the white to grin through. I found a very thin, rayon knit ribbing in a close shade. It’s a sister fabric to another which disappointed me greatly. It is too drapey. Ribbings will not hold their own but flop around in a disgusting manner. But would it be thin enough to act as a lining? Don’t know. So this very first semi-opaque, sweater knit garment becomes a test of what I can use for lining the same type fabrics.
I’m using See And Sew 5803 again because it’s already fit. I don’t want to struggle with fit. I wanted the asymmetrical hem but alas there was not enough fabric to both match stripes, cut long sleeves and keep the asymmetrical hem. I folded up the hem so the back (and front( would be 26″ from shoulder to raw edge. Because of the sheer stripes I didn’t need full size pattern pieces. I was able to fold the fabric in half and line up the strips. I carefully place the pattern side notches for matching stripes. The times this doesn’t work has been because the fabric shifted and became unaligned. I did not shape the hem but cut straight across. Kind of a mini shark-bite hem. My ‘lining’ lacked enough yardage for the sleeves. So this will be a great garment for restaurants and in-house but not for snowball fights.
I opted to treat the lining and fashion fabric as one piece. Started by serging the neckline edges of front and back and then carefully pinning while adding the sleeves. Immediately it became apparent this was going to be heavy. I measured the pattern; cut clear elastic to that length; reinforced the armscyes with clear elastic. On the front I serged the armscyes and then zig zagged the clear elastic on top. I tried serging all layers (back fashion fabric, back lining, sleeve, elastic) at once. It worked but was pretty miserable to control. It was a good test and lets me know that I prefer to reinforce with elastic, after the layers are sewn together. I also reinforced the neckline. I measured the neckline and subtracted seam allowances. Cut the elastic to that measurement so it was a 1:1 application. The neckline shape, formed by itself. I like it but didn’t expect the squared front corners. The neckline is perfect for showcasing necklaces but probably not practical for snowball fights.
I finished the sleeves with 3/4″ elastic inserted in a casing formed by serging the raw edge and then turning it up 1″. I used the same length as for the Rayon Challis blouse, 10″.
I had an issue with the elastic. My usual elastic is white and showed through horribly. In my stash of FOE was a matching teal/turquoise or at least seems to disappear behind the fabric. But it is FOE. Hope it’s durable enough for this type application. I did the same for the hem:
however I was able to use my normal white elastic because of the lining.
So why may this not be finished? I mean I was successful. This is a garment I can wear most places (snowball fights excepted). You can see from above that it is pretty. My issue is with the hem. The hem is 68″ wide and flares further just because it’s a soft, loosely knit fabric. I used 58″ of 3/4″ elastic which snugs the hem to me just slightly:
I like the front view but not so sure about the side and back. The hems. I like everything else; neckline sleeves body of the garment.. I’m concerned about the look at the hem. I’ve seen a number of RTW sweaters which flare this much and more. I’m just not sure I care for it.
Without any elastic the hem appears like this:
I’ve seen RTW like this but again, not sure I like it. I cut my elastic the same width as my hips thinking that the garment would hang straight down but it cups:
and I really don’t like that. I haven’t decided yet. I may leave it alone as in the first pics. Sometimes I have to get used to style changes. Alternatively I could trim some ease at the hem or adjust the elastic length a few more inches. As always, would love for you to look at the 3 sets of pics and offer your opinion.